Confounded: Alasdair

Excerpts from coming books
philjharrison
Site Admin

Confounded: Alasdair

#1 Post by philjharrison » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 pm

This is from the first rough draft:

As Ewan slunk from the room, Alasdair felt his teeth vanish.

“Why do you let him get to you?”

“Carter...”

“Carter’s a big boy, Alasdair. He’ll make his own choices and you can’t do shit about it.” Boyd put files on his desk.

“He’s not like Ewan said. He’s innocent.”

“And I’ll make sure he’s taken care of no matter which one of you he chooses and how it ends up. But you really need to think carefully. He’s not your Forever Mate. If you mate with him, what are you going to do when that one comes along?” Boyd’s sad eyes studied him.

“I’ll deal with it. I won’t just abandon him.” Alasdair pulled off his torn jacket.

“You do go through a lot of clothes when Ewan is around.”

“He...”

“Starts it. I know. I’ll talk to him again. But you know if you didn’t let him get to you, he would stop.”
“I fucking tried. I did. I even moved out...” Whoops, that wasn't supposed to come out of his mouth.
“So Ewan was the reason.” Boyd’s voice was flat.

“No. No. Don’t blame it all on him. I needed my own home. The pack house... it was like this office. No privacy just everyone pushing in when they wanted. I needed to get away. For the Gods’ sake, they still call me pup. You still call me pup. I am not a pup. I’m head of the entire accounting system for our businesses. Unless you just gave me this job out of pity.”

“I gave you this job because you are the best at what you do. If you weren’t, you would not have it. Alasdair, we are wolves. We are all Alpha wolves. Anyone of us is The Pack Alpha material. You have to push back.” Boyd tried again.

The only response was a head shake from his little brother.

“Alasdair...”

“Look, Boyd, you don’t have to do the alpha pep talk with me, okay. I am different. I am an alpha but don’t want to be The Alpha. I don’t want to lead a pack. I want my home. I want my things that no one else can borrow or break and I want quiet. Is that too much to ask?” Alasdair flinched when his voice broke.

Boyd’s hand rested on his shoulder. “No, I guess it isn’t, Little Wolf. Look, go change your clothes and have some lunch. I need you in the office after it to go over the reports with us about the land purchase and the pack investment in it. Forget Ewan. Just relax.”

Calm flooded him as he nodded at his brother. “I’ll change.”

He headed for the locker room. Everyone avoided looking at him for fear of challenging an angry alpha. Boyd was right. He needed to control himself. His brother was the one who understood. Out of all of them. And he was the strongest of them. Alasdair couldn’t resent him using the Pack Alpha power on him. It wouldn’t be long before his father stepped down and handed Boyd the reins. Then he could be just the brother instead of one of the possible heirs to the position. Maybe everyone would treat him differently then and ignore him. It would be nice.

He pushed open the door to the locker room. Sin was pulling his head out of Alasdair’s locker. “Hey, I borrowed your jock strap since yours was clean and mine...”

Alasdair threw him into the lockers.
Board God aboard.

Kali

Re: Confounded: Alasdair

#2 Post by Kali » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:35 am

Can’t wait to read it! 😁

philjharrison
Site Admin

Re: Confounded: Alasdair

#3 Post by philjharrison » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:55 am

Working on it. :D
Board God aboard.