Inspiration - castle

Kick back, relax, and have a cup of coffee with some good fan chat.
Forum rules
Do not wake the forum gods. So be civil and human. And have fun.
Liexo

Inspiration - castle

#1 Post by Liexo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Lisa, I saw that you were writing on dragons. I don't know what kind of writing it'll be, but if you are setting it in a medieval castle, know that you can find pics of one being build right now in the 21st century.

I explain: in France, there is this guy who archeologically dug in his castle and found out that there were the foundations of a medieval castle underneath it. There he had this crazy thought : "Hey, what would it be like to build a real medieval castle ?" That was 21 years ago. After inventing a small lord and deciding on a date for the beginning of construction (1228), they put down the first stone the 20th June 1997. Now, twenty years later, the castle still isn't finished but it's opened to the public and you can visit and ask questions to the "builders". They are building it by hand, as it would have been 900 years ago. No power tools, they extract stone with hammer and chisel, then carry the stones from the quarry to the stone cutter guys in a horse and cart, they have a blacksmith who made and repairs their tools..... They even have a watermill ! :o

This castle is used as experimental archaeology, meaning they haven't got a clue about loads of stuff so they experiment with trial and error to see what works and how they did it in the past.

I put the links to Wikipedia. English for you to read, and French because you also have pics of the workshops (and it's a little bit more detailed for the few of you who speak french...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guédelon_Castle (English)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guédelon (French)

I went there last Tuesday and have pics if you need them. Well, I haven't looked at them yet, but I took loads.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Liexo on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit title
Potion Witch. Evil Editor. A real pain. Oh, and Evil Mod, too.... :twisted:

Lisaoliver79

Re: Inspiration - castle

#2 Post by Lisaoliver79 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:04 am

That is amazing, sweetie, thank you for sending the links through :) What an amazing place :)
Author of the Cloverleah Pack, Stockton Wolves, Balance series, Alpha and Omega series and Arrowtown.

Liexo

Re: Inspiration - castle

#3 Post by Liexo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I've heard bout it a few years ago and always said I'd go there. I went three weeks ago. Really worth it, and you really get this feeling like you went back in time. Well, except for all those tourists with their selfie sticks.... *rolling eyes*
Potion Witch. Evil Editor. A real pain. Oh, and Evil Mod, too.... :twisted: